Looking for the best dandruff shampoo for curly hair? We hear you. The thing about curly hair is that you need more styling products and curly hair doesnâ€™t wick away moisture so when dandruff appears it can become quite the challenge to get rid of it.
So what do you do? Glad you asked, the best solution is to find a good dandruff shampoo for curly hair.
Needless to say, dandruff is both annoying and embarrassing; certainly, nobody wants to walk around with those little skin flakes on their head or worse, have people asking them about it.
That said, we’ve all been there at least once, however, no matter how common this issue may be, it’s always a relief when your anti-dandruff shampoo works its magic.
For curly-haired gals with dandruff issues, a sulfate-free dandruff shampoo for curly hair is key since curls need special attention, and you want the right product for your hair type.
The best dandruff shampoo for curly hair is specially formulated to cleanse your scalp without disrupting the natural oils and moisture that prevents flaking. If by now you have tried just about every home remedy there is, it might be time to call on the best anti-dandruff shampoo for curly hair you can find.
With numerous options in the market, finding the right shampoo for you may sound like a daunting task; but that is what we’re here for. Continue reading and check out our top picks on the best dandruff shampoo and dandruff combs for curly hair, where to find them, how to use them, tips from users, and more.
Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair Reviewed In This Guide
Best Overall: Nizoral AD Anti Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair⇣ Jump to Review ⇣ Jump to Review ⇣ Jump to Review
Best For Color Treated Hair: Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Color Anti Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair⇣ Jump to Review
Best For Hair Growth: WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Anti Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair⇣ Jump to Review
How To Choose The Perfect Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair For You?
Choosing an anti dandruff shampoo for curly hair for you will not only be down to your hair type but also understand what a specific shampoo has to offer since there is the small matter of figuring out why your scalp is flaking in the first place.
If your dandruff tends to occur seasonally, you might just have a dry scalp. Year-long flakes may indicate a skin condition, like psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis, a kind of eczema. However, with a good dandruff shampoo for curly hair, you can find relief no matter why your scalp is flaking.
It is important to know what is causing your dandruff so that you can choose the best shampoo for your hair. You might have dry hair or a buildup of styling products. Either way, you will want to choose the right product to treat your hair.
Good dandruff shampoo for curly hair should be able to reduce dandruff but at the same time, be gentle on your scalp, and have nourishing properties.
Types Of Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
Dry Skin Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
This is a common type of dandruff. It tends to happen more often in the winter months as cold weather and indoor heating can dry out your skin, including the skin on your scalp.
Washing your hair frequently in hot water can also lead to dry skin and dandruff. A scalp that is too dry can become irritated and shed skin cells. Dry skin dandruff flakes are small and white. Your scalp may feel itchy, but not excessively so.
If the itchiness becomes severe, you may have a more serious skin condition that requires a medical professional’s care. To help prevent dry skin dandruff, use a moisturizing and sulfate-free dandruff shampoo for curly hair.
Home remedies, such as a coconut oil scalp massage, may also help relieve itchiness and prevent the skin on your scalp from drying out.
Oily Skin Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
Just below the surface of your skin are glands that produce sebum, an oily substance that helps moisturize and protect your skin. When these sebaceous glands produce too much sebum, it can make your hair oily.
Also, the excess oil can clump together, irritating your scalp and causing dandruff. Oily skin dandruff flakes tend to be larger than dry skin dandruff. The flakes may look more yellow than white and may appear oilier, too.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a more severe form of oily skin dandruff. Shampooing regularly and using a good dandruff shampoo for curly hair with salicylic acid may help keep oily skin dandruff under control.
Fungus-Related Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
A type of common fungus called MalasseziaTrusted Source is found on the skin of every human being. In some people, it can trigger an inflammatory response that produces dandruff or other conditions, such as eczema.
Using a shampoo with Malassezia-inhibiting ingredients, such as zinc pyrithione, may help treat fungus-related dandruff. Applying diluted tea tree oil or a shampoo containing tea tree oil may also help reduce fungus-related dandruff.
Disease Relate Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
- Seborrheic dermatitis occurs more often in people with oily skin. It is a severe form of oily skin dandruff. In addition to flakes, this common scalp condition can cause red scaly patches and itching. One of the most effective ways to treat dandruff caused by seborrheic dermatitis is with a shampoo that contains zinc pyrithione.
- Eczema. When it appears on your scalp, this inflammatory condition can cause flakes that are usually larger than dry skin dandruff flakes. You may also notice red, irritated skin on your scalp.
Using a gentle, moisturizing shampoo may help, though you may need a stronger topical treatment prescribed by a doctor.
- Psoriasis. Scalp psoriasis may appear as fine, powdery flakes with a silver sheen. It may also appear as raised, inflamed, scaly patches of skin covered with a silvery-white buildup of dead skin cells. Corticosteroids can sometimes reduce psoriasis flare-ups. A shampoo that contains salicylic acid or zinc pyrithione also may help reduce scalp psoriasis symptoms.
Best Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair List
What We Like
- Controls Scalp Fungus
- More Effective
- Gentle On Hair
What We Don’t Like
- Small bottle
If you are struggling to find a shampoo that works effectively to get rid of your stubborn dandruff, turn to Nizoral. It’s clinically proven to control flaking, scaling, and itching. And, Nizoral is so powerful it can even control severe dandruff.
And, it starts working from the 1st use. Nizoral is different because it doesn’t just address the symptoms, it gets right to the root of dandruff as it kills the fungus that causes it.
Nizoral is the only over-the-counter dandruff shampoo with Ketoconazole 1%, a clinically proven, powerful dandruff-fighting ingredient. Get freedom from dandruff with Nizoral!
Ketoconazole was shown to be 10X more effective at fighting fungus, the primary cause of dandruff, than the active ingredient in the leading dandruff shampoo brand based on lab testing.
What Our Testers Say
Nothing else clears things up faster than Nizoral. When you have a flake emergency, more often than not, it’s a yeast overgrowth, so you have to make your head inhospitable for those suckers, by removing dead skin and oil, and killing the fungus.
Ketoconazole is what you use when you don’t have time to screw around with your Head & Shoulders, and in fact, in dire emergencies, your doctor or dermatologist can prescribe Nizoral in 2% prescription strength. But 1% helps for daily or weekly use—as long as you’ve got things mostly under control.
A person with dandruff can lose 2-3 times more hair per day. Nizoral’s powerful active ingredient controls dandruff and helps control hair loss from dandruff.
Unlike some other dandruff shampoos, Nizoral’s luxurious formula has a clean fresh scent. And, you only have to use it 2x a week.
On the days you’re not shampooing with NIZORAL A-D, you can use all the shampoos you’ve been dying to try.
I’ve found that it’s best to apply it before you get in the shower. Let it sit on your scalp for 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, otherwise, you’re just washing it down the drain before it can do anything.
What We Like
What We Don’t Like
For those with a dry, itchy, and flaky scalp or product buildup. Hair types: straight, wavy, curly, and coily. This exfoliating, sulfate-free scalp scrub shampoo treatment lifts away impurities and buildup. Balances and soothes dry or oily, itchy, irritated scalp for long-term scalp and hair health.
This creamy, micro-exfoliating scalp scrub shampoo contains coconut-derived cleansers and plant-based exfoliators to help gently remove dead skin, excess oils, and impurities from the scalp.
A nutrient-rich blend of coconut oil, panthenol, and tea tree oil moisturizes and soothes a dry, flaky scalp.
Purifying Binchotan charcoal detoxifies and cleanses to help diminish scalp and hair buildup. 95% Naturally Derived. It is safe for color-treated, keratin-treated, chemically-treated, and relaxed hair.
Hydrates, balances and soothes a dry, flaky, itchy, or oily scalp. Detoxifies and draws out impurities. Clean and naturally derived, formulated 6-free, and made with our proprietary NOVA Complex that purifies, nourishes, and refreshes.
What Our Testers Say
One of my favorite beauty vloggers swears by this stuff, so I figured Iâ€™d give it a shot. I am honestly not disappointed! I really, really like this stuff. I have a very dry and itchy scalp and I get dandruff quite often. I also use quite a bit of dry shampoo.
I used this scalp scrub for the first time last night and my hair felt so fresh and clean after using it. My hair is also thick, so I had to use quite a bit of product to get a good lather going and to really feel it scrubbing my scalp. But it backs up what it claims to do, in my opinion.
The tea tree oil in this gave my scalp a really refreshed feeling. The scent is super light, so you don’t have to worry about your hair smelling too strongly. My head did not itch at all today, and normally that is a big issue for me. My hair legitimately felt clean and light and just overall nice. I think it is worth the price.
How To Use Briogeo Scalp Revival Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
- Part wet hair, massage into the scalp, then rinse clean.
- Use 1x weekly or every other week. Hydration is always important after exfoliation; apply Scalp Revival Charcoal + Tea Tree Cooling Hydration Scalp Mask to the scalp after treatment.
- For best results, apply a deep conditioning mask or your favorite Briogeo conditioner on mid-lengths to ends after cleansing.
What We Like
- 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner
- No Parabens
What We Don’t Like
- May Leave Hair Hard to Comb
JASON Dandruff Relief 2-in-1 Treatment Shampoo and Conditioner features a medicated formula that cleanses and conditions in one easy step while controlling dandruff, flakes, and itchiness.
Active ingredient Pyrithione zinc minimizes the effects of scalp dermatitis and psoriasis, while jojoba oil and plant protein leave hair feeling softer and more manageable. Our Dandruff Relief products are made with safe, gentler, and effective ingredients.
With Pyrithione zinc listed as its active ingredient, you know this medicated combo will help to treat scalp conditions such as mild psoriasis and scalp dermatitis.
Itâ€™s the best dandruff shampoo and conditioner for you if you like getting through the process of washing your hair as quickly as possible while still seeing very good results in decreasing your dandruff symptoms.
What Our Testers Say
Honestly love this line. I remember when I first used the shampoo and my scalp was instantly soothed. I came out of the shower with a brand new person. But after months of use, just not for my hair type.
I think my husband’s curly hair and flaky scalp will love this. It’s very moisturizing so it didn’t mesh with my oily scalp. It’s also thick and low foaming so it doesn’t strip. Love that it’s CG-friendly and also has great ingredients. Love sulfur and zinc for dandruff. I will reach for this when my scalp needs love.
How To Use Jason 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
- Apply about 2 tbsp of the Jason shampoo
- Massage into your scalp
- Leave it there while you finish your normal shower routine or at least 5 minutes, then rinse.
What We Like
- All Hair Types
What We Don’t Like
- Strong Smell
- Small Bottle
Tea tree shampoo for color-treated hair tingles invigorates and helps to protect color from fading. Tingle. Invigorate. Preserve. Ideal for color-treated hair.
Tea Tree’s signature tingle in an all-new color-preserving regimen. Experience a blend of natural tea tree oil, cooling peppermint, and rooibos extracts that leaves hair fresh, clean, and full of vibrant luster.
Gently washes away everyday impurities, leaving hair fresh, clean, and full of vibrant luster.
Although this Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Color Shampoo gets the nod as the best dandruff shampoo for colored hair, it also works great for dry hair, too! Its moisture-rich formula has plenty of antioxidants to help fight and repair cell damage.
And, its impressive ingredients have combined antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties to treat the cause and symptoms of dandruff.
What Our Testers Say
My scalp has a condition that 3 dermatologists cannot cure, but this line of hair care helps very well. I highly recommend it!
How To Use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Color Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
- Apply a small amount to damp hair.
- Lather and rinse completely.
What We Like
- Parabens & Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- Clarifying Shampoo
- Help Reduce Hair Loss
- Plant-Powered Natural Ingredients
What We Don’t Like
- Strong Scent
Help the water pH get close to human hair level with dry scalp shampoo for oily hair women & men love. Nourish hair twice a week with apple cider shampoo helping silkier softer hair be less prone to breakage & split ends.
The Saw palmetto in hair growth shampoo for men & women helps fight hair loss by reducing hair strands falling while showering. Help your hair feel softer and thicker with an apple cider vinegar hair rinse hair loss shampoo.
An avc hair rinses hair shampoo massages your scalp & stimulates hair follicles leaving hair rejuvenated. Scalp cleanser build-up remover will clean dirt, and dead scalp cells & styling products with clarifying shampoo for curly hair; maybe you’ll be interested in reading how to style curly hair with gel.
WOW vegan shampoo natural hair products for women & men are hypoallergenic and cruelty-free shampoo. No sulfates no parabens and made with all-natural ingredients help give volume to your moisturized & hydrated hair
At WOW Skin Science we stand by our products and offer a full refund warranty if you experience any issues with your WOW Skin Science product.
What Our Testers Say
IF YOU HAVE PSORIASIS PLEASE READ; I have been trying to maintain my psoriasis for YEARS now. The reason I bought this in the first place was that one of the first reviews I saw was from some who also had one.
She mentioned it had been helping, ever since I’ve used it (I also use Paul Mitchell tea tree oil conditioner) I haven’t had ONE flair up.
Let me also add; a little goes a LONG way because it lathers amazingly. My best friend has a problem with her hair thinning so I bought one for her as well and within weeks shea noticing a difference in her hair growing back thicker! I absolutely recommend this for anyone dealing with either of these issues.
How To UseÂ WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
- Wet hair and apply a wide-tooth comb for best results.
- Apply a generous amount to the palm.
- Massage well into soaking wet hair and scalp using fingertips.
- Work up a rich lather.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair Buying Guide
What Is A Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair?
Dandruff shampoo is a specialty shampoo that contains antifungal and antimicrobial ingredients like ciclopirox and zinc pyrithione to help relieve itching and flaking, buildup, and excess sebum production in your scalp.
Dandruff shampoos may not be the kindest on curly hair: These shampoos can be very drying, which is why your dandruff shampoo for curly hair should be a moisturizing formula that contains the usual dandruff fighter, zinc pyrithione, and other active ingredients such as olive oil and tea tree oil.
How Does A Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair Work?
Anti-dandruff shampoos contain one of the following active ingredients that act on the various causes of dandruff: Salicylic acid, which helps remove dead skin cells from the surface of the scalp. Coal tar and selenium sulfide, are two ingredients that slow the growth of skin cells on the scalp.
Most dandruff shampoos contain medication that kills the fungus on your scalp or removes flaky skin. Here are some examples: Pyrithione zinc (Head and Shoulders, Jason Dandruff Relief 2 in 1) is an antifungal drug. It kills the fungus on your scalp that causes flaking.
There are multiple active ingredients in shampoos that work against dandruff. The active ingredients work via different mechanisms of action. That is to say, different dandruff shampoos target different aspects of the problem, and all are effective in their own way.
Features To Look For In A Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
No matter which shampoo you choose, it should be able to reduce dandruff, clear up any flakes, and prevent them from returning. The active ingredients are important as there are a number of them that help reduce dandruff.
Look for Pyrithione zinc, selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, salicylic acid, or coal tar. Salicylic acid helps remove dead skin cells from the surface of the scalp.
Coal tar or selenium sulfide, are two ingredients that slow the growth of skin cells on the scalp. Ketoconazole or zinc pyrithione, are two ingredients that target the fungus that causes dandruff.
Another factor is to consider how gentle the shampoo is. Some medicated dandruff shampoos are going to be harsher than others, and they might be too much for people who have sensitive scalps.
You can find shampoos that are made with all-natural products, and you should use them less frequently. If you use dandruff shampoos every day, some will remove the natural moisture in your scalp.
Others allow you to use it every day, so you need to check the ingredients to make sure that it isn’t too harsh. It is important for it to be gentle. Some people believe that shampooing every day causes dandruff, but this isn’t the case.
Although it is important for dandruff shampoo to have ingredients that eliminate dandruff, it also is important to make sure that it can nourish your hair and give it what it needs.
If you need moisture in your hair, make sure that it moisturizes and nourishes your scalp. Products that are free of parabens and sulfates are going to be gentler on your scalp, and they often contain ingredients that help keep your skin nourished.
Shampoos for dandruff for curly hair can range in price, and it is important to balance value with effectiveness. You want a quality product, and it is important to choose the one that is best for you and your specific condition.
Look for a product that has active ingredients to treat the cause of your dandruff, and then make sure that it is recommended and has good reviews. Some products are worth paying a little more for as long as they do what they say they will do.
Common Questions About Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
What is the reason for my dandruff?
The first reason is that dandruff can be caused by a variety of things. It could be genetic; your head could be irritated by a hair product you’re using, and your scalp is shedding its upper layer of skin to protect itself; your skin could be too dry, or conversely, it could be producing too much sebum (the oil it uses to keep itself moisturized), allowing your scalp to become a buffet/breeding ground for the fungus Malassezia.
The hair follicles produce sebum, which is oily and creates an environment where this fungus can grow. The result is white flakes, itching, and irritation.
How to tell the difference between a dry scalp and dandruff?
The biggest difference between a dry scalp and dandruff is that dandruff is actually a medical condition. If you have a dry scalp, you can use a moisturizing shampoo to improve it, while dandruff needs to be treated. You can have both conditions, but they are different.
How often do you use dandruff shampoo?
It depends on the reason for your dandruff and the type of dandruff shampoo you choose. Most of the time, people use dandruff shampoo between one and three times each week, and they use daily shampoo on other days.
Why is curly hair prone to dandruff?
Curly hair is more likely to get dandruff because the natural oils from your scalp have trouble making their way up the shaft of the hair. This leads to a buildup of sebum, which can cause dandruff.
In addition, people with curly hair tend to use a lot of products, and they are often advised not to wash their hair as often. This can lead to inflammation, flaking, and dandruff.
How to get rid of dandruff using dandruff shampoo in curly hair?
- As a first step use your favorite natural oil (think avocado, coconut, olive oil) to saturate your curls and scalp before you shampoo. Allow the prep to sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes before you shampoo. Prepping will help your curls be less tangled, will moisturize your dry or dehydrated scalp, and will bring the shine back to your curls.
- In order for anti-dandruff shampoo to be effective where you need it, it is important to apply it by massaging your head with your fingertips so that the product comes into contact with the entire scalp.
- Most anti-dandruff shampoos must be left on for a few minutes for their active ingredient to be released and to come into contact with the skin.
- Once the time is up, lather the product on the rest of your hair to wash it, then rinse thoroughly. If you wish, you can apply conditioner after using the anti-dandruff shampoo.
- At the beginning of the treatment, use only anti-dandruff shampoo until the problem is under control. Then, you can alternate with your regular shampoo, if you so desire.
- In addition to your best anti-dandruff shampoo for curly hair, use natural treatments. Reach for natural oils like coconut and olive oil, both of which have anti-fungal properties. Jojoba oil is the natural oil that most closely mimics your body’s natural sebaceous oils, which makes it a great choice for dry scalps. It also acts as a protectant against bacteria on the scalp and in your curls.
What is the best anti dandruff shampoo for curly hair made of?
There are five major ingredients used in dandruff shampoos:
- Salicylic Acid: This clever substance works by gently breaking down the outermost layer of skin on the scalp, helping prevent skin cells from clumping up and turning into flakes. This has the dual effect of making them harder for other people to see, and easier for you to wash away. It also helps moisturize your scalp, so it’s less prone to drying out in the first place. It’s the ingredient you’ll find in our very own anti-dandruff shampoos.
- Pyrithione Zinc: This ingredient targets some of the potential causes of dandruff, killing bacteria and fungi like Malassezia.
- Tar: It might sound like an odd substance to rub into your head, but it reduces flaking by slowing down the death of your skin cells. It can, however, cause skin irritation and inflammation in some people.
- Selenium Sulfide: Another antifungal ingredient, this specifically targets Malassezia by slowing down your sebum production and drying out your scalp.
- Ketoconazole: This also works to slow the growth of the fungus that can cause dandruff. Shampoos containing this ingredient are too powerful to be sold over the counter, however, so doctors will prescribe them for people with very severe fungal infections.
How to prevent dandruff?
- Dandruff Shampoos. For some people, using a shampoo that’s targeted at treating dandruff is enough to treat and prevent flaking. It’s important to read the instructions carefully some shampoos are for daily use, while others should be used less frequently. If one type of shampoo isn’t effective or loses its effectiveness over time, try another kind. If a shampoo causes side effects such as redness and irritation, or a rash stop using it immediately and seek medical help.
- Lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle can also benefit your scalp health in several ways. Manage your stress, as high levels of stress, can weaken your immune system and exacerbate certain skin conditions, like seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Hair Care. If you are prone to dandruff, you may need to make some changes to your hair care routine and the products you use. You may want to consider limiting hair styling products, including hair dyes. Also, avoid hot water and shampoo regularly with a gentle shampoo.
Enjoy Your New Dandruff Shampoo For Curly Hair
Now that you’ve learned about our top picks for the best dandruff shampoo for curly hair, you can decide what’s best for your specific hair needs. We hope this guide was helpful in your hunt for an effective anti-dandruff shampoo for curly hair, Ayurvedic shampoos are proven to help the scalp effectively.
No one likes flakes, especially when they’re on your head. Dandruff shampoo is the most effective solution, so if you have curly hair feel free to choose any of the amazing options listed in this guide.
Do not hesitate in contacting us if you have any doubts. We are always happy to hear from you.